PDA

View Full Version : About BJ vs Fitch

Q_F
12-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Am i alone in not wanting this fight at all? The way i see it Fitch takes down BJ (hell even Edgar managed to do so in both fights) and holds him down to a decision. The way Fitch controlled Alves, who is a strong dude with great TDD (as seen in the KOS fight), make me believe he'll be able to smother BJ handily.

Furthermore, the idea of a second GSP-Fitch fight makes me :cryin:, considering the ownage in the last:

http://sportsnickel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jon_fitch-300x289.jpg

Should BJ manage to win, the prospect of a third fight with GSP makes me :cryin::cryin::cryin:, for obvious reasons. BJ should be fighting other fun fighters at WW, like Condit or Nate Diaz.

The only way this fight gets cool is if GSP moves up after beating Shields, something that could make the 170 lbs division exciting again.

So, who's with me on this one?

MKZ
12-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I heard GSP is not really into Penn trilogy.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

And unless noone shoves a poster up BJs ear, I think he will pick up a UD.

Q_F
12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
As should everyone else. He's just to damn powerful with his wrestling for Penn to have a chance.

southpaw447
12-15-2010, 05:11 PM
It's a lose-lose situation.

Looking at this objectively, nobody really wants to see this fight because, it's pretty safe to say it's a forgone conclusion how it will turn out. [Fitch UD]

It's also a lose/lose situation because no matter who wins, one of them is going to be petitioning for a title shot, which nobody wants to see.

ThatGuyJae
12-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't think you can really say "even Edgar" managed to get him down as only him and GSP have ever really made him spend any real time on his back.

Fitch gets most of his TD's from the clinch if BJ avoids that he owns Fitch standing, and sprawls any double leg attempts.

Aaron
12-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Looking at this objectively, nobody really wants to see this fight because, it's pretty safe to say it's a forgone conclusion how it will turn out. [Fitch UD]

i disagree completely that it's a 'forgone conclusion'

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:13 PM
It's a lose-lose situation.

It's also a lose/lose situation because no matter who wins, one of them is going to be petitioning for a title shot, which nobody wants to see.

Yeah, that's exactly how i feel about the fight. There are several fun fights for BJ at WW and this is not one of them.

Mex,HaHaHa
12-15-2010, 05:16 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:QjzujOLdm1vUNM:http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/xanadian9/NotSureIfWant.jpg&t=1

This could be awesome ( Penn beating Fitch)

or not awesome ( Fitch smothering Penn)

I'm thinking the later of the two. While BJ has power in his strikes, the only time Jon has been stopped(due to strikes) is by Wilson Gouveia's Knees.

I remain optimistic for Penn, but just don't see that happening.

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't think you can really say "even Edgar" managed to get him down as only him and GSP have ever really made him spend any real time on his back.

Fitch gets most of his TD's from the clinch if BJ avoids that he owns Fitch standing, and sprawls any double leg attempts.

Well, Edgar slammed him and Edgar is a small LW. Fitch is a large WW and is hella stronger than Penn. If he can control a muscle-freak like Alves, i bet that he can control a 167 lbs BJ.

Pliff
12-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Well, Edgar slammed him and Edgar is a small LW. Fitch is a large WW and is hella stronger than Penn. If he can control a muscle-freak like Alves, i bet that he can control a 167 lbs BJ.

BJ is a lot better than Alves at tying people up from his back though. With a good use of BJ's flexibility and rubber guard, I can see this fight being stood up on several occasions, lets not forget BJ has great TDD which should, in theory, pose problems for Fitch.

If BJ stays away from fitch with his jab and doesn't overly commit to his strikes, I think he has a good shot at keeping the fight standing, where I think he would dominate.

I actually find this fight interesting, and im looking forward to see what kind of game-plan BJ comes in with. One of the more interesting Fitch match ups, in my opinion.

And In not 100% sure BJ would get the title shot if he beats Fitch though, as it would only be 2 wins at WW. Although if Fitch is out of the picture, im not sure who else they could put GSP against. Maybe Condit if he can get past Lytle...

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
If BJ beats Fitch, he deserves a titleshot. Beating a three-win streak ex-champ in Hughes and the 2nd ranked guy in the division is enough IMO. How did Hardy get his titleshot?

steph05050
12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I can't stand this fight as well....I'd much rather see BJ fight a known striker and not wrestler

ThatGuyJae
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Edgar didn't beat Penn with size or strength though so being small has really nothing to do with it. Edgar got him down because of his speed and his footwork standing. Edgar uses his hands well and uses good footwork to setup shots. Fitch isn't a threat to anyone standing and usually drags people down, if BJ uses his boxing to keep the distance he can keep it on the feet. Strength isn't what kept Alves on his back IMO it was Alves gassing and just not doing the right htings once down, he was easily discouraged, Alves also isn't that dangerous on the ground. BJ isn't known for a deadly guard but he is slick.

Pliff
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't stand this fight as well....I'd much rather see BJ fight a known striker and not wrestler

not a wrestler.. like Hughes? ;)

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
BJ isn't known for a deadly guard but he is slick.

Yeah, but BJ is more of a top player. I've never seen him sub or even threaten anyone of his back.

Pliff
12-15-2010, 05:41 PM
If BJ beats Fitch, he deserves a titleshot. Beating a three-win streak ex-champ in Hughes and the 2nd ranked guy in the division is enough IMO. How did Hardy get his titleshot?

Hardy was riding a 7 fight win streak and was undefeated in the UFC. He just beat Swick (who at the time was almost #1 contender) and Marcus Davis who at the time had won 7 out of his last 8 fights. I think he deserved his shot, especially since there wasnt many people in the picture at that time.

Yeah, but BJ is more of a top player. I've never seen him sub or even threaten anyone of his back.

He is definitely a better top game player but he is really good at avoiding dmg from his back, which I think would come in handy against Fitch.

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Hardy was riding a 7 fight win streak and was undefeated in the UFC. He just beat Swick (who at the time was almost #1 contender) and Marcus Davis who at the time had won 7 out of his last 8 fights. I think he deserved his shot, especially since there wasnt many people in the picture at that time.

Sure, but beating Fitch and Hughes >>> beating Markham, Gono and Swick and some 4 unknowns. Plus, he's BJ Penn, former champ in two weightclasses and recent P4P dude.

ThatGuyJae
12-15-2010, 05:45 PM

He doesn't have to sub someone to be slick though.... He has crazy flexibility and is very good at tying people up. I don't think he'd sub Fitch but I think he can get sweep or at least get the fight back to the feet. Also BJ's TDD is def better than Alves and many others that Fitch has fought.

Q_F
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Also BJ's TDD is def better than Alves and many others that Fitch has fought.

Not so sure about that. Alves stuffed Kos taketowns and Kos takes down everyone he fights, including GSP in both fights.

ThatGuyJae
12-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Not so sure about that. Alves stuffed Kos taketowns and Kos takes down everyone he fights, including GSP in both fights.

Alves is great at stuffing double legs, Fitch took him down up against the cage with trips and dragging him down.

BJ has unreal balance and a way of usually being able to stay off his back.

steph05050
12-15-2010, 05:54 PM
not a wrestler.. like Hughes? ;)

lol don't even go there.....my heart is still broken from that fight.

ThatGuyJae
12-15-2010, 05:55 PM

And your sig makes me smile as much as BJ is smiling!! :laugh:

Pliff
12-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Don't worry I know how you feel. You do look good in "Penn" though

;)

FunkYou
12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
A fired up Penn could own the stand up against Fitch to get a decision win. He might even finish it late.

The problem is that Fitch's MO is to drag people down via cage clinching. One of Penn's weaknesses is that he is really lazy when clinching against the cage. I want the fight if Penn can motivate himself enough not to let himself be stalled against the cage.

steph05050
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
And your sig makes me smile as much as BJ is smiling!! :laugh:

ban!

Don't worry I know how you feel. You do look good in "Penn" though

;)

i had to make it a good sig if i was gonna have to use it for 3 months

Q_F
12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
A fired up Penn could own the stand up against Fitch to get a decision win. He might even finish it late.

The problem is that Fitch's MO is to drag people down via cage clinching. One of Penn's weaknesses is that he is really lazy when clinching against the cage. I want the fight if Penn can motivate himself enough not to let himself be stalled against the cage.

Good point. Even Florian managed to hold him against the cage for a couple of rounds.

FunkYou
12-15-2010, 06:30 PM
The only person lazier than Penn in the clinch is Mir. GSP showed in the second fight that thois is a way for WWs to beat Penn.

The difference here is that GSP was good enough sriking to get inside so he could press Penn against the cage. Fitch's striking is almost Shields-like so he will have to wade through Penn's heavy hands. My hope is that Penn comes in fired up and just swarms Fitch hard and early

southpaw447
12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
i disagree completely that it's a 'forgone conclusion'

Well what other likely scenario do you see?

bail3yz
12-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Its because hes only been put on his back by GSP and Edgar..

Also greasing shit aside.. GSP was really slippery.. so BJ couldnt really do much.. .

Against Edgar he looked like shit tho..