PDA

View Full Version : Long Live the King...Fedor

TheRevolver
02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted to give my 2 cents on Fedor :).

LONG post following the article
Translated from French, it means “The King is dead, long live the King.” While in literal terms of what happened on Saturday night at Strikeforce, Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva won the biggest fight of his career, stopping Fedor Emelianenko after two rounds, which led to the Russian’s shocking statement that his career may have come to an end.

Coming back from the first true loss of his historic career, Fedor Emelianenko stepped into the cage in New Jersey on Saturday night promising a return to form from his glory days spent in Pride Fighting Championships.

There were moments in the fight where Fedor showed flashes of his brilliance, blasting away at Silva’s head, looking for the knockout almost as soon as the first bell rang.

The Russian looked for a guillotine choke early as well, then getting the fight to the ground where he tried to open things up with some of his patented ground and pound, then looking for a kimura before Silva popped out.

It was almost at that moment with the fighters back on their fight that Silva’s immense size difference seemed to shift the momentum directly in his favor. The Brazilian landed a takedown with seconds left to go in the first, and then duplicated the move as the 2nd round opened.

Once on the ground, Silva moved to mount and just started crashing Emelianenko with heavy fists, forcing the former Pride champion to roll just to keep the fight from coming to an end. Repeatedly, Silva dropped bombs on Fedor’s head, and it looked like the fight might be stopped but he showed true heart and battled back just enough to keep alive.

When the round ended, a battered and bruised Emelianenko went back to the corner where cameras showed his right eye completely shut and bruised from swelling endured from Silva’s punches. The doctors saw enough that Emelianenko could not see anything and the fight was stopped.

(photo courtesy of Strikeforce)
Silva immediately celebrated the huge win before he headed over to his opponent’s corner where he bowed and kneeled to pay homage to the great former champion.

The hype going into Saturday night was about Fedor’s return, but it was promptly ended by Silva’s dominance. The Brazilian took a huge step forward in his career, while also moving on in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.

“All the people say Fedor, Fedor, Fedor. I’m training too hard, and I showed the world now,” Silva said following the victory.

A somber New Jersey crowd cheered as Emelianenko stepped up to the microphone after the fight. Bloodied and bloodied, Fedor explained his performance against Silva, while also alluding to what may have been his final time inside the cage.

“Something happened at the very beginning and maybe I didn’t re-adjust myself,” Fedor said. “Maybe it’s time to leave.”

With a Russian contingency strong in the crowd, obviously heart broken at the thought of losing one of their true legends, Fedor spoke again and contemplated that it may be the end of the road for him in the fight game.

“Yes, maybe, it’s the last time. Maybe it’s high time. Thanks for everything. I spent a great beautiful long sport life. Maybe it’s God’s will,” Fedor spoke about his possible retirement.

“Thank you very much for your love, for your warm reception, for your support. Thanks God for everything.”

If this truly is the end for Fedor Emelianenko, MMA fans may have just watched one of the greatest fighters to ever step foot in the sport, walk away for good.
http://mmaweekly.com/the-old-king-is-gone-long-live-the-king-silva-wins-fedor-contemplates-retirement

He has always been one of my favorite fighters BAR NONE and I always want to see him fight, but frankly, he's had his run, and it was a GREAT one. Like Anderson Silva and GSP, Fedor is a one of those guys who come around only once a generation. It will be a long time before we see another heavyweight who will dominate as handedly as Emelianenko.

He was THE best, and most well rounded fighter of his era (of what I like to call the 03-07 era, comprised of MMA icons who reigned in their primes then, in the UFC vs PRIDE days, and are now either retired, in, or heading towards the twilight of their careers. Guys like Cro Cop, Big Nog, Chuck Liddell, Wandy, Randy Couture, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc). In retrospect to his time, he was good at everything, he could stand, his wrestling was phenomenal, and he was a beast on the ground. But like everything, age and time catches up.

Fedor seems like he has lost a step in just about everything as an athlete, and what has worked for him his whole career (the way he trains, who he trains with, etc) just isn't cutting it anymore, not without his athleticism. Not only that, but I will admit that the competition has taken a step up. Not by a whole lot but fighters are becoming more technical and well rounded than before. If we had a 27 year old Fedor on our hands, I would still favor him in any heavyweight match-up, but unfortunately he's not, and he's only getting older.

I don't think he can beat Overeem, and I don't think he can beat Cain. Still a top heavyweight, I think he would fare well or has a good chance against top 10 guys like Brock, Werdum, Frank Mir, etc. Even then, I'd rather him retire than anything. The last thing I'd want to see is for Fedor to suffer a depressing losing streak like many fighters out there and spoil a great career. Either way, he'll be remembered as a legend and one of the best fighters of all time. And fan or hater, we should all appreciate a legend when we see one :).

http://www.mmaspot.net/mmaspot/files/image/fighterprofiles/fedor.jpg

Jack
02-13-2011, 02:53 PM
EPIC second post.

Could not agree more. I just wish people could stop all the mud slinging at him and his record, and just appreciate what a special fighter we've actually had.

MKZ
02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
He will always be my hero. Fuck the haters.

Thaispider
02-13-2011, 02:57 PM
great post mate, we have been blessed to see him put on some epic fights but its just acase of eveolution and some fighters overtaking him in skills and athletic ability.

he has given us so many great fights i want to see him go out on a high though one more fight!!!

FullMetal
02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't see why Fedor is done though. I think Cain and Overeem propose entirely different challenges for Fedor and I think he still has the skills and the heart to beat top guys. Never underestimate the potential of the human spirit. Fedor is a true warrior, and it's too bad his body can't keep up with the sheer enormity of his heart. Honestly though, with all this talk about retirement I really don't think his heart is in it anymore. He's done so much for this sport and it's so insulting to watch people show so little respect for a guy who helped pioneer the sport as we know it today. To me he'll always be a legend, and in my mind, already solidified himself as the greatest of all time.

TheRevolver
02-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I know that as a fan myself, his amazing run during the long stretch of PRIDE is what I'll always remember him for and I don't want to see him risk anymore losses and taint that memory. I agree with you tho, he's still got the skills to beat a lot of guys out there, but he can't compete at the very top of the mountain anymore.

The way he box can't cut it anymore, not without the speed and explosiveness that he had to at least make up for the lack of technique. His judo/sambo throws don't work on big guys anymore because he's lost a lot of explosiveness*, added to the fact that not only are these heavyweights getting bigger, but we're seeing more athletic fighters (which is what a lot of people forget, it's not just about the size). And his BJJ is good but it doesn't help when bigger and stronger guys, equally as agile, with good submission defense are going to put him on his back.

And frankly, I hate to say it but if he can't be among the best, then I'd rather not see him taint his legacy anymore, not if it means he's struggling to barely get by out there.

stitch1z
02-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm with you, but let's keep a couple of things in perspective:

Werdum could submit anyone on any given night. Dude has ridiculous BJJ.

Bigfoot Silva is STILL a vastly underrated HW. He could beat just about anybody on any given night. Bigfoot with a gas tank poses an extremely unique threat to anyone he faces.

It's not like the guy's "done" or can't fight at the top level anymore. There are just some guys at the top level that could possibly beat him. Which has always been the case.

The majority of fights that Fedor won, he didn't dominate. He pulled out the win in the midst of adversity.

Tripod
02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
The majority of fights that Fedor won, he didn't dominate. He pulled out the win in the midst of adversity.

Which is why I'm so insanely bitter about there not being a third round :(

stitch1z
02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Which is why I'm so insanely bitter about there not being a third round :(

I am with you completely. During the 2nd, I was saying to myself "If he gets out of this, he takes it in the 3rd."

e-thug
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow, therevolver is gonna fit in nicely here..absolute solid post.

Negative2
02-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't be heart broken if he retired cause it doesn't seem like he's retiring simply because of how he lost but that he understands that maybe his skills aren't as sharp as they used to be.

As much as Dana White would like to disagree, Fedor has nothing he has to prove to anyone. So what if he's not a champion or he's lost two in a row, the guy ruled at HW and battled back from some of the most crushing blows that make the curb stomp in American History X look like childs play.

vikingpride
02-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted to give my 2 cents on Fedor :).

LONG post following the article

http://mmaweekly.com/the-old-king-is-gone-long-live-the-king-silva-wins-fedor-contemplates-retirement

He has always been one of my favorite fighters BAR NONE and I always want to see him fight, but frankly, he's had his run, and it was a GREAT one. Like Anderson Silva and GSP, Fedor is a one of those guys who come around only once a generation. It will be a long time before we see another heavyweight who will dominate as handedly as Emelianenko.

He was THE best, and most well rounded fighter of his era (of what I like to call the 03-07 era, comprised of MMA icons who reigned in their primes then, in the UFC vs PRIDE days, and are now either retired, in, or heading towards the twilight of their careers. Guys like Cro Cop, Big Nog, Chuck Liddell, Wandy, Randy Couture, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc). In retrospect to his time, he was good at everything, he could stand, his wrestling was phenomenal, and he was a beast on the ground. But like everything, age and time catches up.

Fedor seems like he has lost a step in just about everything as an athlete, and what has worked for him his whole career (the way he trains, who he trains with, etc) just isn't cutting it anymore, not without his athleticism. Not only that, but I will admit that the competition has taken a step up. Not by a whole lot but fighters are becoming more technical and well rounded than before. If we had a 27 year old Fedor on our hands, I would still favor him in any heavyweight match-up, but unfortunately he's not, and he's only getting older.

I don't think he can beat Overeem, and I don't think he can beat Cain. Still a top heavyweight, I think he would fare well or has a good chance against top 10 guys like Brock, Werdum, Frank Mir, etc. Even then, I'd rather him retire than anything. The last thing I'd want to see is for Fedor to suffer a depressing losing streak like many fighters out there and spoil a great career. Either way, he'll be remembered as a legend and one of the best fighters of all time. And fan or hater, we should all appreciate a legend when we see one :).

http://www.mmaspot.net/mmaspot/files/image/fighterprofiles/fedor.jpg

-Q76H7tP7Ig

TheRevolver
02-14-2011, 12:09 AM
-Q76H7tP7Ig
LOL
_g0mUyH6dI8

vikingpride
02-14-2011, 12:18 AM
I embedded it for you.

And Sword fight! lol

Btw If you want to embed a youtube vid on here. Just Copy and past everything after the "=" on a youtube video and put youtube tags around it.

cplmac
02-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Fedor>All makes a return

MilesHackett
02-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Fedor>All makes a return

Huh?

TheRevolver
02-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I know who Fedor>All is, and I'm not him ;).

Jack
02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Fedor>All makes a return

Huh?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/rickyrod70/confused.jpg

Damone
04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
My feelings on Fedor,

You know those boring, hugging, lay n pray fighters? Yeah, they suck, while Fedor fights. When you watch Fedor fight, you know you're going to see some shit go down. Somebody is going to get finished, and you're watching a fight. He and Nogueira are from the school of finishing their opponents. They don't stall, they always go in for the kill.

His career, to this day, is still amazing. His winning streak was something unheard of. He went so many years without a defeat, and looked inhuman. His management sucks ass, no doubt, but Fedor's the man.

You have idiots like Joe Rogan bashing Fedor's "fatness," and saying that he can't compete with HW's anymore. Fedor has nothing to prove to anybody. he has proved his worth, and while Rogan was smoking laced weed and cracking bad jokes, Fedor was in there bludgeoning fools.

So fucking what that he is on a 2 fight losing streak? All the greats lose. Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Frazier, Sato, Rutten, Nogueira, they all lost fights. They're not only fighters, but artists. They all fought, and never, ever stalled like a bunch of wrestling queens.

In short: Fuck the hataz. Fedor rulez.

Mervin
04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
My bad, I mistakenly bumped this old thread for some reason lol.

Wise
04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
My feelings on Fedor,

You know those boring, hugging, lay n pray fighters? Yeah, they suck, while Fedor fights. When you watch Fedor fight, you know you're going to see some shit go down. Somebody is going to get finished, and you're watching a fight. He and Nogueira are from the school of finishing their opponents. They don't stall, they always go in for the kill.

His career, to this day, is still amazing. His winning streak was something unheard of. He went so many years without a defeat, and looked inhuman. His management sucks ass, no doubt, but Fedor's the man.

You have idiots like Joe Rogan bashing Fedor's "fatness," and saying that he can't compete with HW's anymore. Fedor has nothing to prove to anybody. he has proved his worth, and while Rogan was smoking laced weed and cracking bad jokes, Fedor was in there bludgeoning fools.

So fucking what that he is on a 2 fight losing streak? All the greats lose. Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Frazier, Sato, Rutten, Nogueira, they all lost fights. They're not only fighters, but artists. They all fought, and never, ever stalled like a bunch of wrestling queens.

http://fourfour.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/alison_nod.gif

Jack
04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
My feelings on Fedor,

http://files.sharenator.com/citizen_kane_clapping_gif_RE_If_The_Internet_Sudde nly_Disappeared_How_Wed_Get_Laid-s480x360-132744.gif

Could not agree more. Fuck Joe Rogan and his whiny voice.

Wise
04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Its worth bumping.

Shamrock-Ortiz
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Fedor will always be the coolest