PDA

View Full Version : All main events are 5 rounds now

KJ Brophy
06-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Five round non-title fights in main events will be the standard going forward in the UFC.

UFC President Dana White made the official announcement on Thursday that any fight signed from this day forward as a main event would be a 5 round fight, regardless of if itís a title fight or not.

Any fight currently signed for a main event thatís not a title fight such as Rashad Evans and Phil Davis, who square off at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, will remain a 3 round fight.

White was specific in stating all future bout agreements for main event non-title fights would be five round affairs.

This will be the first time in the modern history of the sport that MMA has had five round fights that are not championship bouts.

White has long talked about making the move, and said they almost made the jump at UFC 131, but bout agreements had already been signed and the fighters were already in training camps to prepare for a three round fight.

ďWeíre very close to doing it,Ē White revealed when speaking about five round non-title fights following UFC 129.

Now it is a reality.

White also specified that this policy is in effect for any show that the UFC produces whether itís a pay-per-view or a UFC Fight Night event, main event fights will be 5 round non-title bouts.

Let the cardio and conditioning workouts begin.

Source (http://mmaweekly.com/all-ufc-non-title-main-events-will-be-five-round-fights-going-forward)

wafb
06-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Now we can look forward to Guida dry humping for 5 rounds.

Mex,HaHaHa
06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Nice I pray Fitch or Guida never make it to the main events ever again, until they start finishing.

Yes I know Guida has been submitting average fights and ones past their prime, but I hate him now for his humping victory.

wafb
06-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Nice I pray Fitch or Guida never make it to the main events ever again, until they start finishing.

Yes I know Guida has been submitting average fights and ones past their prime, but I hate him now for his humping victory.

Just be glad Nik Lentz isn't in the title picture yet!!

e-thug
06-09-2011, 07:26 PM
It's a step in the right direction IMO, now if they can only fix up the judging situation.

Negative2
06-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I guarantee Fitch will not be signed in a non-title ME. It should be obvious to everyone by now that people do not like watching him fight.

I figure because he's a top guy, they'll keep in co-me's at most.

KJ Brophy
06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
No point in having fucking titles now unless they add more rounds to title fights

wafb
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
No point in having fucking titles now unless they add more rounds to title fights

Make it 10 3 minute rounds.

Negative2
06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Well, fighting 5 rounds doesn't mean you're the best in the world.

Anderson Silva has only fought 2 5 rounders. He has the title for a different reason.

vikingpride
06-09-2011, 07:32 PM
It's a step in the right direction IMO, now if they can only fix up the judging situation.

The sad thing is this basically seems like a band aid to cover the enormous gash of a problem that is crap judging. They are hoping that with the 2 extra rounds it'll give these guys more time to finish and they can avoid the judges all together.

Thats the thing i hate the most about it.

Don't get me wrong i love that we'll be getting longer fights on every card. It's just now title fights lose a bit of their appeal.

Keegman
06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
This SUCKS. Only one good thing about this is that alot of main event fighters are going to be future title contenders and it could give them an advantage when it gets to a title fight. You need a differents between title holder and normal fighters. 6 rounds would be to much i think.

KRB52
06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
The article leaves the question, "so how long will the title fights be? How many rounds?" As the others have said, it should make things more interesting for the viewer.

vikingpride
06-09-2011, 07:45 PM
The article leaves the question, "so how long will the title fights be? How many rounds?" As the others have said, it should make things more interesting for the viewer.

5. I'm quite positive under the unified rules that fighters are not allowed to fight anymore than 5 rounds in one day.

Which is why you don't see the same day tourneys in the States.

KJ Brophy
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Make it 10 3 minute rounds.

I was thinking 7 5 minute rounds

Well, fighting 5 rounds doesn't mean you're the best in the world.

Anderson Silva has only fought 2 5 rounders. He has the title for a different reason.

Like VP said title fights lose there appeal with all the main events going to 5 rounds, they are 5 rounds for a reason. I understand what you are saying but not everyone is Anderson Silva see GSP

Negative2
06-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Aye a title fight doesn't mean any less to now that this has been announced. The fact alone that it's for the strap is good enough for me.

ThatGuyJae
06-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Doesn't take away from title fights IMO, but even still I'm not interested in seeing EVERY main-event be a 5 rounder, just seems like huge fights need this. Either way PLEASE keep Fitch and Guida far away from ME's if this is how the future is going to be.

Brad.Taschuk
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm a fan of 5 round fights in non-title fights, have been for a while, but just making a blanket "All ME's are 5 Rounds" rule is dumb.

Does Rampage/Hamill need to be 5 rounds? Hell no.

Should Rashad/Davis be 5 rounds? Definitely.

It doesn't diminish from title fights at all, it just means we get to see more of the best fighters in the world fighting for 25 minutes than 15. And I honestly don't think we'll be seeing as much of the boring humping garbage in these fights, because it's very difficult to keep that up for 25 minutes.

ThatGuyJae
06-10-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm a fan of 5 round fights in non-title fights, have been for a while, but just making a blanket "All ME's are 5 Rounds" rule is dumb.

It doesn't diminish from title fights at all, it just means we get to see more of the best fighters in the world fighting for 25 minutes than 15. And I honestly don't think we'll be seeing as much of the boring humping garbage in these fights, because it's very difficult to keep that up for 25 minutes.

I wish that were more true, yet Fitch and Guida, and even GSP against a striker seem to be mastering this skill!! I'm worried that more and more fighters in ME's will play it safe knowing they may have to potentially go for 5. I agree in certain fights it will be awesome, I just hope that the majority of the time it isn't a let down. Rampage/Rashad would have been awesome to see 2 more rounds as I think Page would have knocked him out in the 4th, Rashad Davis could be another fight its needed in. Guida/Pettis def would have sucked, watching Guida hump his way to victory for 15 mins was bad enough!

plazzman
06-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Fuckkk. We're gonna see A LOT of gassing and shitty 4th and 5th rounds

Thaispider
06-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Fuckkk. We're gonna see A LOT of gassing and shitty 4th and 5th rounds

just what i was thinking, im not a fan of this tbh. title fights being 5 rounds is a unique thing and has the element of excitement that they can go into the "championship rounds".

and imagine having to sit through 5 rounds of guida or fitch or story or mendes!! errrrggggggghhhhhh

FunkYou
06-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Don't the stats Brad compiled show that 5 rounders have more finishes. Therefore the extra rounds in main events increase the chances of a finish and the avouidance of shitty judging decions rewarding LnP.

MKZ
06-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Good step, but I would love to see fights like Bendo vs Jim Miller go at it in a five rounder.

KJ Brophy
06-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Well Rampage/Hamill wasn't supposed to be the main event so I wonder what they will do if the main event changes?

Brad.Taschuk
06-10-2011, 12:26 PM
That's why doing this as a generic rule rather than for when a fight actually warrants it is dumb?

And does this apply to free cards, or just PPVs? Because free card MEs =/= PPV MEs.

JT42
06-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Well Rampage/Hamill wasn't supposed to be the main event so I wonder what they will do if the main event changes?

Thats actually a good point. I wonder how they will handle changes in main events because its in the contract if its 3 or 5 rounds so a fight already signed being bumped to main event would require a new contract.