PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung headlines UFC on FX 3 in Virginia

MKZ
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
A key featherweight matchup with real title implications is set for May 15, as Dustin Poirier (12-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) meets Chan Sung Jung (12-3 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the headlining bout of UFC on FX 3.

UFC officials today announced the three-round matchup, which takes place after the two fighters verbally jabbed at each other on Twitter.

As previously reported, UFC on FX 3 takes play May 15 at Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The event's main card airs live on FX, and FUEL TV is expected to air the preliminary card.

Poirier returns after a UFC 143 victory over octagon newcomer Max Holloway. The win was Poirier's fifth-straight victory and brought his record to 4-0 since dropping to 145 pounds.

Following the win, Poirier called out "The Korean Zombie," among others, and the two have gone back and forth on Twitter ever since.

Meanwhile, Jun now fights for the first time since a shocking seven-second knockout win over Mark Hominick at this past December's UFC 140 event. The victory scored the evening's "Knockout of the Night" and was one of the fastest such wins in UFC history.

Jung is actually just 2-2 under the Zuffa banner but has become a fan favorite following his incredible WEC debut, a split-decision loss to Leonard Garcia.

http://www.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/sexy-celebration.gif

If it's a main event though, why is it three rounds ? :(

Thaispider
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
fucking love this fight, WAR KOREAN ZOMBIE

e-thug
02-10-2012, 04:25 PM
If it's a main event though, why is it three rounds ? :(

All FX and FUEL ME's are 3 rounders.

Winner of this gets winner of Aldo vs. Hioki/Bart IMO.

MKZ
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Total Bullshit. This fight is a 5-Round-War Material.

Damone
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
All FX and FUEL ME's are 3 rounders.

Winner of this gets winner of Aldo vs. Hioki/Bart IMO.

Yep. Both guys can easily fight for the title right now, especially Poirier.

This fight should be all violent and shit. I like it.

Brad.Taschuk
02-10-2012, 09:09 PM
I still don't get how Jung is anywhere near the title picture. Have people really forgotten that he got absolutely starched by Roop two fights ago?

Don't get me wrong, this fight is going to be amazing, but I'd prefer Poirier/Koch from a title perspective.

e-thug
02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
I still don't get how Jung is anywhere near the title picture. Have people really forgotten that he got absolutely starched by Roop two fights ago?

Don't get me wrong, this fight is going to be amazing, but I'd prefer Poirier/Koch from a title perspective.

Poirier/Koch would've been preferred absolutely but the division is hardly lining up a list of contenders.....I'm under the assumption that Poirier will win validating that he's on the level to challenge for the title but I wouldn't be at all annoyed if Zombie got a shot for winning 3 straight.

MKZ
02-10-2012, 09:29 PM
KZ just got a twister, knocked out the second last title challenger in 7 seconds, and thanks to his Garcia fight is more known than Poirier and Koch, so yeah he's in title picture.

vikingpride
02-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I think Koch will be getting another road to the title shot. And i'm glad they are not having Koch and Dustin in a fight where one could derail the other since they are both young and still have loads of potential.

JT42
02-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Awesome. Yeah I am really glad that Poirier/Koch isn't happening because I think both guys could potentially challenge for the title and there are plenty of guys to fight on the way up.

Brad.Taschuk
02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I usually hate prospect vs prospect fights (remember how against Cain/JDS I was when people wanted it on their way to a title?), but Poirier/Koch just makes sense to me.

We knew that Cain and JDS would be facing each other for the title down the road, because they're good and the HW division sucks. With Poirier and Koch, I don't see them fighting down the road for the title, because neither will bear Aldo, and if they do fight on the way back up the ladder, it wouldn't have the same sort of interest that I see the fight having right now.

Oh well, as I said, Poirier/Jung will be awesome, I just don't think it's great matchmaking moving forward. If they want to push Jung towards a title shot, give him a more winnable fight than Poirier, because I see him struggling here.