PDA

View Full Version : So Where Do They Go From Here? (UFC on Fuel 1)

JT42
02-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Pretty fun night of fights with some quick finishes and some back and forth wars. What fights do you guys think should be made going forward? My picks:

Ellenberger - Really impressive showing by Jake in the first two rounds but you can never lay back against Diego. Regardless of whether GSP is able to return in September, December, or 2013 I say set up Condit/Ellenberger for the Interim Title. No one knows for sure how GSP's recovery will go and Condit/Ellenberger could happen in July and still have time to recover to fight GSP when he is ready. Plus it would be a hell of a fight.

Diego - Diego is a beast and is able to take a lot of punishment and keep coming. To get beat soundly in the first two rounds and yet keep coming in that third round was awesome. I would like to see him fight Alves if Thiago loses to Kampmann. If Thiago wins then I would say put him against the winner of Shields/Akiyama. I know that would put a loss against a win but both Shields and Akiyama are fighting for their jobs so a win should earn them a fight against Diego coming off a loss.

Struve - Good fight and he seemed to keep his range a little bit better than in the past. Maybe he could take on Russow since he could strike from the outside and even if he gets taken down he has good submission ability.

PeeWee - He couldnt seem to solve the puzzle of how to land on the bigger man and it cost him. Still a good fighter and I would love to see him take on Roy Nelson.

Markes - I was pretty impressed that as big as he was he was still striking and wrestling in the third so pretty good cardio. He throws with really bad intentions and I like him at MW. I would enjoy watching him take on the winner of Philippou/McGee.

Simpson - The A-Train is still willing to get in there and throw bombs. He took some good shots and he usually delivers a few himself. I wish he wasnt so predictable in his striking but he will always be the same type of fighter he is right now. Wouldnt mind seeing him take on Nick Ring though.

Miocic - Wow, his striking defense was not good at all and this fight could just as easily have gone the other way. He would make an excellent debut fight for SDR.

De Fries - He was pretty aweful in his striking defense as well and actually because of that I think he should fight Mitrione. Meathead needs to get back on track and I think he definitely would fighting Philip.

Dillashaw - That fight showed why Dillashaw trains at Alpha Male. Good takedowns, good control, and good GNP. He needs work on his BJJ as he should've been able to finish one of those 230 RNC's but he only had like five pro fights so I was still impressed. They definitely need to give him time to progress though so a fight with Ken Stone would be a good step.

Watson - He was definitely dominated but at least he showed Albert how to fight a rear naked choke. He really didnt offer anything until that third round though when he threatened with the triangle. I would really like to see him mix it up with Caceres though.

Menjivar - He looked like he was in some trouble there for a while and if Albert had landed another clean shot or two he may have been out but he survived and fought back and proved he is a wily veteran. After three straight wins I would like to see him take on the winner of Mizugaki/Cariaso.

Albert - I liked how he looked in the stand-up but he didnt fight off that choke at ALL. He just splayed out and waited for his breath to run out; pretty weak. He should fight someone like Papazian.

Brookins - Great win for Brookins and I would really like to see him take on Swanson or Oliveira.

Rocha - He can fight just about anyone coming off a loss. Someone like Paixao or Eduardo.

Salas - Good win in his debut. He should fight Camoes next.

Means - From the play-by-play it sounded like he was pretty aggressive and dominated bell-to-bell. He should fight the guy he was brought in to replace in Izquierdo as long as he isnt out too long.

stitch1z
02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Do not want Herman / Nelson. Makes sense, but one if those guys would be cut after the fight.

Give Herman Beltran or Griggs after he loses.

screenamesuck
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Sanchez vs Nick Diaz please

MKZ
02-16-2012, 09:52 AM

:agree:

JT42
02-16-2012, 12:07 PM

Would be awesome to get to see that now that they have both progressed but Diaz is retired. Sorry

Brad.Taschuk
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Sanchez/Diaz 2 would only be acceptable if it was 5 rounds. In fact, Diego should get a clause in his contract that only allows him to fight in 5 round fights. He'd probably find much more success.

MKZ
02-16-2012, 05:28 PM
I think he's happy with getting his ass beat for most of the fight and get a decision. Last time he fought 5, he got a vagina on his forehead.

vikingpride
02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Sanchez/Diaz 2 would only be acceptable if it was 5 rounds. In fact, Diego should get a clause in his contract that only allows him to fight in 5 round fights. He'd probably find much more success.

The funny thing is a fight vs Nick would prob be the only fight where he'd prefer 3 rounds.

screenamesuck
02-17-2012, 04:08 AM
He was calling Nick out wanting to coach against him on TUF and I know Diaz would like to avenge that loss. Nick wants opponents that bring a fight, well Diego will bring the fight to him. It needs to be main event though so it can be a 5 rounder. I bet if Diaz was offered that fight he would reconsider retiring for the above reasons

MKZ
02-17-2012, 08:23 AM
I agree with VP. Diaz would own rounds 4 and 5. This would probably be the only fight where Diego wins the first rounds and loses as the fight goes on.