PDA

View Full Version : Silva won't relinquish MW title

KJ Brophy
08-11-2009, 08:34 PM
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva told ESPN.com today that he is not relinquishing his title to fight exclusively at light heavyweight. Silva's manager, Ed Soares, also denies ever making such an offer to UFC president Dana White.

Silva and Soares spoke to ESPN.com after reading a Yahoo! Sports report in which Soares allegedly tells White that the champ would give up his 185-pound title and fight at 205 pounds. The offer apparently came after Silva's first-round knockout Saturday night of former light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at UFC 101.

According to the Yahoo! Sports report, Soares is seen with his arm around White's shoulder, leaning in and making the proposal. The alleged offer puts a big smile on White's face.

White then says: "I can do that. I like that. We can do that."

There is one problem: The conversation between White and Soares never happened. After reading the story, Soares could barely contain his anger. Soares said his attorney plans to speak to Yahoo! Sports about the matter.

"That is totally false; I never said that to Dana," Soares told ESPN.com. "I never had my arm around Dana saying something like that, [not] whatsoever.

"The only time I recall Dana saying what was said in the Yahoo! story -- 'I like that. We can make that happen, I like that' -- was when Anderson's assistant came up to Dana and said something to him. But I don't even know what he said to Dana."

A UFC spokesperson confirmed that White and Soares did not have a conversation agreeing that Silva would permanently move up to light heavyweight.

Soares, who manages both Silva and UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, has stated repeatedly the two will never fight each other. Silva reiterated that message to ESPN.com today.

"The way I feel is that the 205 belt is Lyoto Machida's," said Silva, whose words were translated by Soares. "That's my teammate, my brother, my friend; I'm not going to fight Lyoto Machida. So between me and Lyoto, we are going to defend both of those belts.

"I'm not going to fight Lyoto. It's not about the money. We're brothers, we are not going to fight. That's how we feel."

Though Silva does not intend to fight Machida or give up his middleweight belt, he still plans to compete at 185 and 205 pounds. Silva and Soares believe competing in two weight classes will provide opportunities for stiffer challenges.

"Like we've said before, Anderson wants to be in the biggest fights possible, whether it's at 205 or 185 [pounds]," Soares said. "He owns the belt at 185 and he is going to keep defending that belt."

When Silva plans to defend the 185-pound belt next remains a mystery. During the UFC 101 postfight news conference, White stated that former Pride welterweight titleholder Dan Henderson would likely get the next shot at Silva.

Soares isn't happy about the possibility of Silva taking on Henderson next. He would prefer Silva step in the Octagon against another 205-pound fighter instead.

"I don't think there is a valid [middleweight] contender yet," Soares said. "To create a valid 185-pound contender, I think, Dan Henderson should fight the winner of Demian Maia and Nate Marquardt.

"I don't believe Dan Henderson deserves the title shot right now. The reason I don't is because a year and a half ago Anderson submitted him in the second round.

"If anything, Nate Marquardt deserves a title shot before [Henderson]. I also think Demian Maia is in the running for [a title shot], too. We'd like to do another fight at 205 or a catchweight of some sort."

Source:http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4392295

I disagree with Soares I think Palhares, Franklin, and Bisping is more worthy of a title shot then Kampmann, Gouveia, and possibly Maia

Okami-Fan
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM
"I don't think there is a valid [middleweight] contender yet," Soares said. "To create a valid 185-pound contender, I think, Dan Henderson should fight the winner of Demian Maia and Nate Marquardt.

YUSHIN OKAMI... what a bitch... thats a slap in the face. Okamihas earned his shot..

KJ Brophy
08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Okami needs to prove he can stay healthy first

Negative2
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Legend, I think you may have killed us all.

KJ Brophy
08-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Legend, I think you may have killed us all.

:confused:

bail3yz
08-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Source:http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4392295

I disagree with Soares I think Palhares, Franklin, and Bisping is more worthy of a title shot then Kampmann, Gouveia, and possibly Maia

Im not sure why you said this.. ? maybe I missed the part in the article that you are referring to?

Also Kampmann moved to WW awhile ago.

KJ Brophy
08-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Im not sure why you said this.. ? maybe I missed the part in the article that you are referring to?

Also Kampmann moved to WW awhile ago.

This is the reason why I said it:

"If anything, Nate Marquardt deserves a title shot before [Henderson]. I also think Demian Maia is in the running for [a title shot], too. … We'd like to do another fight at 205 … or a catchweight of some sort."

I think Hendo has better wins then Marquardt

bail3yz
08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
This is the reason why I said it:

I think Hendo has better wins then Marquardt

ooooh gotcha.. ya I totally misunderstood you

TeeReks
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Dana confirmed that Hendo was getting the next shot at Anderson.

So Soares can just suck it.

JT42
08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Well that kinda blows because I was excited about the possibilities opened by this move.

I really, really hope we dont get a KJ Noons situation though where Silva refuses to defend his title because he doesnt think who the UFC wants to set him up with is worthy. Anderson Silva or not I think its weak and makes you look scared.

I would like to see him fight both Hendo AND the winner of Maia/Marquardt.

Okami-Fan
08-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Silva would be stupid to turn down fighters like Maia,Hendo,Nate, Okami

Jawsh
08-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Silva would be stupid to turn down fighters like Maia,Hendo,Nate, Okami

Stupid or not, honestly I'm more interested to see Silva in the 205 division.

Okami-Fan
08-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Me too actually...

Jawsh
08-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I think it makes sense to the middleweight division for him to fight them, but to me 205 just seems like it will be more entertaining.

Kingofkings
08-12-2009, 01:41 AM
Hendo has earned his rematch regardless of what Soares thinks.

Thaispider
08-12-2009, 07:44 AM
well this is going to hold up the MW title , if anderson is going to be popping up and down weight classes every other fight .

Okami-Fan
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
well this is going to hold up the MW title , if anderson is going to be popping up and down weight classes every other fight .

I know, it pisses me off too... Just drop the title and go to LHW for good, ugh.

MattBremner
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Horn, Kampmann and Gouveia are on par with Palhares but I think both Bisping and Franklin are a step up and were two of the guys to beat in the division that are not either Okami or Marquardt.

However, you can't really argue that Marquardt deserves a shot if he beats Maia, that's 4-1 in his last five, and that one loss was bullshit.

Oh, and I don't think Okami has hardcore, undeniably earned his shot. His quantity of wins is high, but the quality is kinda low. He beat Swick when Swick was a contender, and yes, he almost beat Franklin but close doesn't get you title shots. You can disagree if you like, and that's perfectly fair, but I think he lacks a top tier win to really lock down him earning a shot. He is like Karo, he kinda earned a shot a long time ago, but then the division got shaken up and he got left behind. He's a great fighter and could easily give Silva trouble but I don't buy him as next in line.

Jack
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
IMO Anderson should either relinquish the belt and go to 205 or keep it and stay the hell at 185.

Fighting in both divisions while not going for the LHW title is just fucking both divisions up cos he feels he's above it all IMO. Anderson, or his management team, don't get to choose who's worthy of a shot.

yorT
08-12-2009, 06:11 PM

How, they can barely find contenders.

I don't want them to force someone as a contender like Cote and Thales cause then you'll get could get crap fights.

Jack
08-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I don't want them to force someone as a contender like Cote and Thales cause then you'll get Anderson dancing for 25 minutes.

Fixed.;)

yorT
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
^^LOL, yeah that