www.fightlockdown.com

Go Back   FightLockdown.com MMA Forum > Non-Mixed Martial Arts > Member Greetings and Introductions
Reload this Page Intro

Member Greetings and Introductions New to the forum? Drop by and say hello!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
joemag
Bantamweight

Default Intro

Alright FLD, I guess I should formally introduce myself.

In high school I played a lot of tennis and really focused on my conditioning. At one point, Daniel Puder came to my academy for a few days and put us through the works for conditioning, but I believe this was before he started fighting. I had no idea what MMA even was until my tennis coach introduced me to it. I remember him saying, "JoeMag, tonight you have to go home and watch this. It's on Spike at 10 pm." If you haven't guessed, my first intro to MMA and the UFC was TUF, and unfortunately for me it was TUF3, what I now consider the worst season talent-wise. Nevertheless, I started watching UFC unleashed and really started to appreciate the sport. It may seem weird coming from a tennis background, but the mindset is similar: just one on one, and whoever has the better combination of skills and determination will emerge the victor. I was particularly intrigued by the ground game, and I still prefer a swank sub over a flashy KO any day.

I was hooked. I searched the net for a place to learn as much as possible, and that is when I stumbled upon the "other forum" (Are we allowed to call it by name?). Some of my favorite pieces were Damone's Retro-Watches (bring these back!). When the whole fiasco happened, I started lurking here more, and over time I have started to appreciate the smaller, more intellectual community of FLD. People actually try and support their opinions instead of engaging in flame wars. Ok, enough about that.

Currently I live in Berkeley about two blocks away from Jake Shields's gym. I have been thinking about trying to get an interview with Shields for FLD, but I want to know more about how to go about that. For any members who have interviewed fighters, how did you approach them? In any case, I would have to do it soon since I'll be graduating from Cal in May.

TL;DR: I switched interests from tennis to MMA and might be able to ask Shields a few questions. Also, Damone needs to start doing Retro-Watches again.

Questions welcome.
joemag is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Negative2
dollars in bank account

Welcome.

If you want you may sign up for a premium membership to gain access to the VIP lounge. There's ton's of threads happening there which are used for fighter interviews. I suggest starting there for you Shields interview.

Don't forget to stop by the Pro Wrestling thread in the sports section.

Negative2 is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Aaron
This ain't Japan

Really enjoyed your contribution to the forum so far joemag. Glad to have you here.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
vikingpride
The Bet Is Over!

Yep, good to have you here.

Like Neg said if your interested in doing some interviews getting a premium membership would make things alot easier. And also maybe PM (private message) one of the writers on the forum and see if they can help you out with the interview process. Most interviews on here are done via E-mail or sometimes by phone, but i'm sure one of the writers here could still help you out with a possible face to face interview.

vikingpride is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
joemag
Bantamweight

I figured talking to Shields would be my way of giving back to the forum. I'll ask some of the writers who have posted interviews how they went about getting them, and maybe scope out the forum for potential interest (which there may be after this weekend). Finals first, though.
joemag is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
e-thug
Mr. Untouchable

Welcome to the forum man, and yes unlike those morons over there we dont care if you say MMAF.

Ask MilesHackett about anything interview related but otherwise keep posting!

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
e-thug is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
MilesHackett
Too. Much. Swag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemag View Post
I figured talking to Shields would be my way of giving back to the forum. I'll ask some of the writers who have posted interviews how they went about getting them, and maybe scope out the forum for potential interest (which there may be after this weekend). Finals first, though.
Your best bet is to contact the gym, Jake, or his manager (Jack, his dad) via e-mail, which would likely be available on his website. Just make it known that you're putting together an interview piece for an MMA media outlet, we're not exactly known, but it looks more professional than just showing up at the fighter's gym with a list of questions.

If you have any more questions, be sure to ask! I'll gladly help you along the way.

Also, welcome to FLD, it's always nice to see new faces emerging and joining in the fun here! Hope to see you sticking with it, and good luck with finals!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Wise
Chocolate City

Totally agree on Damone's retro watches.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
JT42
The Great

Welcome bro, good to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Totally disagree on Damone's retro watches. Hated those things
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
Jack

Welcome to FLD man. Good to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
This. Retro watches = WIN.