www.fightlockdown.com

Go Back   FightLockdown.com MMA Forum > Mixed Martial Arts > UFC
Reload this Page Why Frankie Edgar Needs to Drop to Featherweight

UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM  
Why Frankie Edgar Needs to Drop to Featherweight
JT42
JT42 is offline 02-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Rating: (1 votes - 5.00 average)

Quote:
Frankie Edgar has made a career out of shattering expectations. No one expected Edgar to be able to beat a much bigger and more experienced Sean Sherk, but he did so soundly. No one expected Edgar to be able to beat the Prodigy who had looked renewed at LW, but he did. No one expected Edgar to beat the much bigger Maynard who had defeated him earlier in his career, but once again he did.

Edgar has proven time and time again that he has the skills to not only compete at LW, but beat the very best fighters the division has to offer. The problem is that last night, Edgar lost his LW title to Benson Henderson and I dont think Dana White is too keen on booking ANOTHER immediate rematch for the LW title. Previous to last nights fight, the LW title had been on the line four times in the last two years but against only two different fighters. It's time for the LW division to get busy with new challengers and new fights at the top of the division.

But where does that put Edgar? Frankie was willing to rematch Penn after the controversy of their first fight. He was willing to rematch Maynard after their first title fight was declared a draw. Shouldnt he be shown the same respect after the controversy of him losing last night?

I definitely think that Edgar deserves preferential treatment as many thought that he won the fight last night and even if you think Bendo won, it was a razor close fight. So should we push for another immediate rematch for the LW title? I dont think so. I believe that Edgar should drop to FW and get an immediate title fight with Jose Aldo. Not because he is too small for LW or can't compete, but because he deserves a title fight after his performance last night.

I believe that solution works on all levels and for everyone involved and I will explain why below:

Jose Aldo: Aldo is trying to gain the respect he deserves as a pound for pound great and a fight and possible win over the former LW champion in Edgar would do a lot towards proving just how good he is.

Frankie Edgar: As explained above, Edgar deserves an immediate title shot after not only his performance last night, but also his willingness to fight in immediate rematches against both Penn and Maynard.

The Lightweight Title: It's just time for the title to get active and have new challengers at the top. We have seen enough potential challengers fall by the wayside as rematches are happening for the title. Bendo/Pettis (while techinically a rematch) is a fresh and exciting UFC fight that is guaranteed to produce fireworks and bring fan interest to the LW title.

Hatsu Hioki: After last night's performance I was one of many calling for Aldo/Hioki to happen as soon as possible and I still think that would be an amazing fight but Hioki has stated that he would like one more fight before fighting for the title. Hioki/Koch would be a great fight to make.

Now after Edgar fights Aldo for the FW title, if he chooses to go back to LW then that is just fine and I would have no problem with him making an immediate move back to that weight-class if he doesnt like FW. However, I think in this situation it's the smartest move for him and the UFC to make. That is why Frankie Edgar needs to drop to Featherweight.
Really to me, that is the best option available for everyone involved but I am interested in everyone else's thoughts. What do you guys think should happen with the LW title and Frankie Edgar and why?

JT42
The Great
Views: 854
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
JT42
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-thug View Post
I'm not saying his speed and cardio would diminish, it just wouldn't be an advantage IMO at FW where there typically faster and the cardio issues are pretty much non existent there....in other words I dont see his hard work/pace paying off as much at FW as it does at LW.
Ah gotcha and makes sense. I could definitely see him struggling a bit more with a class of guys who overall have better cardio and quicker paces.
JT42 is offline   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Mex,HaHaHa
Middleweight

This may be a bit bold of me to say, but I believe that Aldo would wreck Edgar.
Mex,HaHaHa is offline   Share topic on Facebook!