www.fightlockdown.com

Go Back   FightLockdown.com MMA Forum > Mixed Martial Arts > UFC
Reload this Page UFC 144 does an estimated 375k buyrate

UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
UFC 144 does an estimated 375k buyrate
e-thug
e-thug is offline 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Source: bloodyelbow

Quote:
There was a lot of hand-wringing going into UFC 144 that it would not perform well on pay-per-view (PPV) and that the main event should have been saved for UFC on Fox 3. It appears that those concerns were unfounded. Dave Meltzer at the Wrestling Observer (subscription required) is reporting that early PPV estimates are "about 375,000 buys."

Those numbers, on top of the UFC's best yet numbers for preliminaries on FX, are a very strong performance for the UFC and ex-champion Frankie Edgar. Edgar's most recent title defenses at UFC 125 and UFC 136 (both against Gray Maynard) did 270K and 225K respectively.

Edgar did headline UFC 118 which did 570K PPVs, but that was against B.J. Penn and also featured a heavily promoted Randy Couture vs. boxer James Toney bout.

Meltzer commented:

It's a good sign because the usual rule is that an overseas show doesn't do as well as a North American show, and may be a very positive sign for the upcoming Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen fight. The surprising numbers have started ever since the move back an hour which seems to have resulted in stronger West Coast numbers. That also coincides with the FOX deal going into effect.

As far as reasons, I did see a lot more advertising for this than usual with a lot of televised stuff. The pre-show being two hours and doing a good rating may have helped. The TV commercial was also good. And it could be that Edgar was finally getting over (in looking at trending patterns before the show and who had the most interest, it was Edgar slightly ahead of Jackson, with Henderson about half that of Edgar and Ryan Bader next, and well below Henderson). This also came with a Countdown show airing on Fuel (it probably aired on Fox Sports Net as well but wasn't advertised and probably didn't do much in the way of viewers). But across the board, everything was positive here.

This is excellent news for the UFC and bodes very well for the rest of 2012.
So do these numbers surprise you? Gotta say there much better than I anticipated as I was thinking around the 300k mark....I think Rampage helped the numbers quite a bit and as the article says I think Edgar might just have been starting to catch on with the fans.....too bad the UFC has to essentially start again now with Bendo though.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."

e-thug
Mr. Untouchable
Views: 244
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Negative2
dollars in bank account

These are pretty good numbers. It being an awesome show over all won't hurt matters either.

And I agree about Edgar. I was slowly gaining interest in him. The little dude is a warrior and his style isn't the worst kind to sit and watch.

Negative2 is online now   Share topic on Facebook!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
JT42
The Great

It's the kind of numbers I was hoping for but didnt really expect. I was really hoping if they got good numbers and had a successful show (which they certainly did) then they would be inclined to do another Japan show before another decade goes by.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
e-thug
Mr. Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT42 View Post
then they would be inclined to do another Japan show before another decade goes by.
I dont think it was ever there intention to wait 10 years to go back......PRIDE from 2000-2007 had alot to do with it and then the Yakuza probably made it very difficult for Zuffa to have an event there.

I bet they go again in late 2012 early 2013....maybe not Japan but somewhere in Asia forsure.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
e-thug is offline   Share topic on Facebook!